DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
The purpose of the Eastpointe Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is to correct and prevent deterioration in the business district, to authorize the acquisition and disposal of interests in real and personal property, to authorize creation and implementation of a development plan in the district, to promote economic growth of the district and in general to increase property tax value where possible within the district
The purpose of the Façade Improvement Program is to encourage community involvement and private investment in the DDA District, which is centered around Gratiot Avenue and Nine Mile Road.
The Grant Program will provide matching funds to owners of businesses within the city's DDA District who wish to make improvements to their existing buildings' façades. A maximum of up to $3,000.00 will be awarded to five (5) businesses that meet the outlined criteria.
Owners and / or tenants of property located within the City of Eastpointe DDA District are eligible to apply for the grant. Tenant business owners must apply jointly with the property owner.
- All work must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning ordinances and the contractor or owner must secure proper permits prior to commencement of the work.
- Some projects may require site plan or building materials approval by the city Planning Commission.
- The property / business owner must be current on all City, County and State property and income taxes and all other City accounts.
- Project components must have a useable life of at least 10 years.
- All work must be completed within twelve (12) months from the date the grant is awarded.
Maximum grant funding given to one business cannot exceed $3,000.00 per year. New applicants will be given priority over applicants that have previously received grants from the DDA.
This is a competitive grant process and projects with a higher ratio of private to public investment will be given preference.
Grant recipients must provide the DDA with photographs of aesthetic improvements before and after the completion of work. Photographs must be taken from the same vantage point. These photographs will be used by the DDA for marketing purposes.
Grants will not be awarded for physical improvements and work completed prior to grant application date.
Once a grant is awarded, grant recipients must display the DDA Grant Award Signage in the window facing the pedestrian side, in plain view of the public. Signage must remain in place a minimum of 60 days after the completion of funded project.
ELIGIBLE FAÇADE AND EXTERIOR IMPROVEMENTS
Costs are only eligible if they are incurred after the application is approved by the DDA Board. Examples of eligible façade improvements include:
- Façade repainting
- Restoration of masonry, brickwork, wood and metal cladding
- Replacement or repair of cornices, eaves, parapets and other architectural features
- Replacement or repair of windows and doors
- Entranceway modifications
- Redesign of the storefront
- Installation of new signage
- Installation or repair of canopies and awnings
- Installation or repair of exterior lighting
- Landscaping and customer access amenities
- Other similar improvements as may be approved
- Appraiser, engineer or attorney fees
- Expenses incurred prior to application approval date
- Property acquisition, mortgage, land contract financing or loan fees
- Building permit fees
- Permit fees
- Replacement or maintenance items: building systems, parking lots, electrical or mechanical work or any other items that should be maintained by property owner on a regular basis
- Furnishings, trade fixtures, display cases, counters, computers, equipment or other items taxed as personal property
Please note that the aforementioned examples of eligible and ineligible costs are not all-inclusive and final determination of eligibility requirements are governed by the DDA Board.
This DDA grant is competitive, meaning that the most viable projects will be selected for grant funding. It is recommended that applicants provided thorough documentation (photographs, renderings, sketches, estimates) about the proposed project. Applications containing the following characteristics will have priority in the appropriation of DDA funding:
- Create a noticeable visual improvement
- Improve the overall aesthetic appeal of the property
- Encourage permanent building improvements consistent with the type of business
- Complete the improvement of the entire block
- Upgrade the image of the commercial district
DDA grants will be awarded to recipients as reimbursements.
Once the work is complete, the recipient must notify the DDA, and the review for final approval and payment will be scheduled for the next DDA Board Meeting. Materials to be submitted for proof of completion include:
- Proof of actual total cost and payment by the Recipient for materials, labor, and / or contractors;
- Proof of approved inspections by the Building Department, if applicable;
- Proof of completed work in the form of detailed photographs.=
All work must be completed in compliance with the aforementioned requirements and original receipts and paid invoices for work performed must be provided in order to receive reimbursement. In order to receive application approval, and grant reimbursement, the establishment must be open for regular business.
APPLICATION, APPROVAL AND PAYMENT PROCEDURES
Façade Improvement Applications are available at the City Manager’s Office at City Hall, and online at www.cityofeastpointe.net.
Applicants must submit five (5) copies of the Façade Improvement Application and other required attachments to the attention of Kim Homan, Economic Development Manager, 23200 Gratiot Ave., Eastpointe, Michigan 48021.
The deadline for submission of applications is: Wednesday, August 26, 2020, at 2 p.m.
City staff will review the applications for completeness, and will present all completed applications to members of a DDA committee for review.
The members of the committee will review the applications and prepare a recommendation for the full DDA Board, to be presented for approval at the September 8, 2020, scheduled DDA Board Meeting.
The DDA Board will approve up to five (5) matching grants of up to $3,000 to applicants who will be investing the same amount, or more, in their proposed project.
If the planned improvements require Planning Commission review and approval, the approved applicant must complete that process before the DDA Board will grant final approval.
Construction may begin upon approval by the DDA Board, and any other required approvals by city departments.
Approved grant recipients will receive payment in the form of a reimbursement after the project is completed and any required city approvals are received.
Recipients must submit copies of receipts and paid invoices to the attention of Kim Homan, Economic Development Manager, 23200 Gratiot Ave., Eastpointe, Michigan 48021.
A check request will be issued to Accounts Payable and the recipient will be notified when the check is ready.
MANDATORY GRANT INFORMATION CHECKLIST
- Attach a completed Façade Improvement Application.
- Attach a description of your project.
- Attach a narrative describing in detail how this project will benefit the DDA District.
- Attach architectural plans, renderings, sketches or illustrations depicting the work to be performed.
- Attach a breakdown of the costs associated (estimates) with your project. Please include the entire project cost and the amount you are requesting.
- Attach one or two photographs of the existing building showing the areas of the proposed improvement.
ALL DECISIONS CONCERNING ASPECTS OF THE GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS, INCLUDING ELIGIBILITY AND / OR CONTAINING ELIGIBILITY FOR GRANTS ARE WITHIN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY BOARD AND ARE FINAL.
Please return five (5) copies of the grant application, supporting documentation, and photos to:
City of Eastpointe
Downtown Development Authority
Kim Homan, Economic Development Manager
23200 Gratiot Avenue
Eastpointe, MI 48021
Please contact Kim Homan, by email email@example.com, or phone 586-204-3031, if you need additional information.
PLEASE COMPLETE THIS APPLICATION IN ITS ENTIRETY, AS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED. PLEASE RETAIN A COPY OF THIS ENTIRE APPLICATION FOR YOUR RECORDS.